Sunday, February 26, 2012

Top 20 Kamen Scores

Ok, this is what it's all about.  I decided to start with Michael Kamen because a.) unfortunately he passed so his catalog is complete and b.) my first favorite score was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, so it seems only appropriate to start with that. 

I love Kamen's music.  He tackled just about every genre well.  His highlights are his two cop trilogies, but he has plenty of other great period pieces and dramas.  Without further ado, my top 20 Kamen scores:

20. Road House
I finally gave this a listen recently.  It is sort of Die Hard lite.  But it's really unfair to compare the two because this is not nearly as good.  Still, it is better than most.

19. Last Action Hero
Suprisingly light on action.  Arnold's movies have had some great scores, but this is pretty forgettable.  I expected a lot more from this.

18. The Last Boy Scout
This has some pretty good stuff, especially the little jig piece.  But overall, it stands as the waypoint between his great scores and his meh scores.

17. Die Hard 2
Now we're talking.  I really like the addition of Finlandia as the classical piece.  I may have discounted this score because it is my least favorite movie of the series, but that is clearly not Kamen's fault.  I would love to hear a complete rendition of this score.

16. The Iron Giant
A very good score for an underrated animated movie.  This would probably be my favorite non-Pixar or Batman animated score.  It could be higher on this list, but Kamen just has too much good music.

15. Frequency
It's good, but not quite as memorable as the other scores ranked higher.  The Buxton Fire scence sends chills down my spine.  Plus, who doesn't love a movie centered around baseball?

14. Lethal Weapon 2
This series deserves more respect (and more complete releases).  The Stilt House is one of Kamen's best action tracks anywhere.

13. Lethal Weapon 3
There's one big reason this is ranked higher than the previous movie: Armor Piercing Bullets.  That is one of my all-time favorite action pieces.  That, and I like the mini theme for Russo's character.

12. Die Hard: With a Vengeance
Clearly we're in the thick of the Lethal Weapon/Die Hard scores.  This is the top of the sequels I ranked, mainly because I love the inclusion of When Johnny Comes Marching Home.

11. The Three Musketeers
A somewhat forgotten Kamen great.  In some ways it's a poor-man's Robin Hood, though that diminishes how good this score is.  I particularly love M' Lady DeWinter.

10. Lethal Weapon
Iconic, and a shame it just cracks the top 10.  The Hollywood Blvd Chase is enough to make this one of the great action scores, and the goofy themes fit perfectly.

9. Mr. Holland's Opus
Better known as Mr. Kamen’s Opus.  I don’t have any proof, but I would bet this was his most personal project given the subject manner.

8. Open Range
Both the movie and the score are largely forgotten, but Kamen really tapped into arguably the best genre for movie scores.  One of my favorite western scores for sure.

7. X-Men
The X-Men movies collectively have the best music of any superhero movie series (sorry Batman), and it began with a bang.  The X-Jet track remains one of my favorite all-time.

6. Highlander
I wish I could hear a proper complete score for this.  A prime example of how an amazing score can overcome a dreadful movie, even despite Queen.  Swordfight at 34th Street is amazing.

5. What Dreams May Come
About a thousand times better than the rejected Ennio Morricone score.  Every time I hear it, it gets to me.  It really captures the journey from highs to the lowest of lows.

4. Don Juan DeMarco
A movie best known for the Bryan Adams song, this score is amazingly charming.  One of my favorite scores to fall asleep to.  Yes, I am a sucker for Spanish guitar.

3. Band of Brothers
Probably the greatest score for a miniseries, with apologies to Basil Poledouris' Lonesome Dove.  There is so much greatness going on here, but it begins with the haunting main theme.

2. Die Hard
The action score to end all action scores, and a perfect fit for the greatest action movie of all time.  There have been a few “complete” releases recently, but both are missing quite a few tracks.  The inclusion of Beethoven’s 9th is perfect.

1. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Was there any doubt I would have this first?  I wore this tape out!  Again perhaps most well known for the Bryan Adams son, but Marian’s theme is perhaps his most beautiful work, and the action scenes are driving.  How has nobody released a complete score for this?

So there you have it.  Argue away.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Michael Kamen!

    How about listing the scores from other composer's that rip Kamen's flavor? You know his sound and the way he uses strings so I'm not even going to attempt to explain it.

    I can already think of three that sound suspiciously like Kamen's compositions; David Foster's unreleased score for "If Looks Could Kill", Joel McNeely's "Terminal Velocity" and Stanley Clarke's "Passenger 57".

    Seems like Rachel Portman's score for "Hart's War" reminded me a little bit of Kamen as well.

    Also Kamen's proteges Edward Shearmur, Blake Neely and Ilan Eskeri have all at times aped Kamen's unique flourishes.

    John Ottman, Carter Burwell and Elliot Goldenthal have had moments reminiscent of Kamen. As did Shirley Walker. Probably Danny Elfman too. Maybe even Marco Beltrami at times, although not enough as evidenced by his "Live Free Or Die Hard" score. I wouldn't doubt John Debney's done some Kamenesque orchestrations - maybe "Sudden Death", although that feels more akin to Goldsmith.

    Kamen's sound is so recognizable to me, I just love it! I remember listening to Tom Petty's "It's Good To Be King" and thinking when the orchestra kicked in, "Hold on, THAT HAS TO BE KAMEN!" - Sure enough, it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kamen's "From The Earth To The Moon" music should be on that list!:)

    ReplyDelete