Sunday, March 11, 2012

John Williams Top 25 Themes

John Williams is by far and away my favorite composer, and I would argue the greatest composer of all time (yes, even better than Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc).  If I made a list of his greatest themes it could probably be nearly 100 strong.  So this list was especially difficult to narrow down.

I did make this list with a few rules.  First, only themes from movies would be considered.  This means no Olympic Fanfare, no NBC News theme, and no Lost in Space.  Second, I would only include one theme from each movie.  Without that rule this list would be nearly all Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Superman.  I am trying to spread the love.

25. Prologue from JFK
            Perhaps a surprise to make this list with all of Williams’ great themes, but I’ve always liked it.  Great drum work accompanied by a haunting trumpet.  It’s militaristic yet presidential.

24. The Keeper of the Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
            There’s not an easy way to find the Grail statement in the score, but this is the closest.  You can almost hear the ancient sounds in a rather simple theme.  This is also a great example about how any of these themes could be number one for just about any other composer.

23. Theme from Sabrina
            Perhaps another surprise.  I love the piano in this theme, and I’m a sucker for good piano music.  And yes, it does make me think of Paris.

22. Hatikvah (The Hope) from Munich
            Now we’re getting into some serious stuff.  I still cannot believe this movie does not get more attention.  It’s almost a slightly grown up version of the theme from Schindler’s List, though not quite as haunting.  It still gets the job done.

21. Short Round’s Theme from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
            An underrated score, if that exists in Williams’ repertoire.  It’s a great sound and really places you in China/India.  Plus it’s just one step away from Indy’s theme, which we might see later.

20. Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones)
            Here’s a theme that’s miles better then the dialogue in the movie (one of the hokiest love stories ever).  There are better Star Wars themes, but this struck a chord for some reason.

19. Somewhere In My Memory from Home Alone
            It is impossible to hear this and not think of Christmas.  You can definitely hear the influence on Hook the following year.  It still stands alone as the best Christmas movie theme.

18.  Granny Wendy from Hook
            Speaking of Hook…  It was hard to pick just one of the themes from Hook to highlight, but this is my favorite.  It’s has an innocence about it, old and refined yet young and adventurous, much like its subject.

17. Catch Me If You Can Main Titles
            The precursor to The Adventures of Tintin.  It really highlights Williams’ jazz past.  There are few other themes that evoke a certain aspect of the 50s and 60s like this one.

16.  Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan
            A beautifully subdued tribute to the military and in particular those who served in World War II.  Not surprisingly a major influence on Giacchino’s Medal of Honor theme (at least that’s what I think).  All subsequent WWII scores and movies will be compared to this, which makes it hard to rank it this low.

15. Main Title from The Cowboys
            I’m a sucker for great western movie scores.  It’s not the best of the genre, but it’s wonderfully bombastic.

14. Luke and Leia from Return of the Jedi
            It starts off so innocent, then just pulls at your heart strings as it crescendos.  This is my favorite Star Wars score, partly because of its use of the earlier themes and partly because this theme just puts it over the top.

13. Theme from Schindler’s List
            It’s nearly impossible to hear this and not have your heart strings pulled.  Probably the most haunting theme I’ve ever heard.  It was very hard not to have this in the top 10.  It’s only this low because that’s the power of Williams.

12. Wild Bill from 1941
            What a contrast from Schindler’s List, from Spielberg’s best movie to his worst.  This theme is the lone shining spot in an otherwise dreadful attempt at comedy.  It’s a wonderful example of twisting the militaristic drums and brass to something in your face fun.  Genius.

11. Hedwig’s Theme from Harry Potter
            A Harry Potter movie without this theme front and center is certainly lacking a major part of the franchise.  While I like some of the other music from this series, this series would be another Twilight without this theme.

10. Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun
            Something about this theme just gets to me every time.  I guess because I can envision flying when I hear it.  I think it’s one of Williams’ most underrated scores.

9. Wild Signals from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
            Perhaps not technically a theme, the five-note riff is one of his most memorable pieces.  I probably don’t appreciate the movie as much as I should, but this scene is made by the music.

8. Main Title from Jaws
            We are deep (pun intended) in the iconic Williams themes here.  I think just about anyone can hear the first few notes and immediately know its source.  This is also probably the score that really put Williams on the map, so it’s extra historically important.  For that reason it probably deserves to be ranked higher, but I just could not do it.

7. Midway March
            The greatest non-Souza military march ever written.  It may be the Aggie in me, but I absolutely love this theme, and it’s remarkably missing from the meat of the score.

6. Theme from Jurassic Park
            This may be a little high for this theme, but it’s one of the truly formative scores from my life.  It’s chill-inducing.  I can’t see dinosaurs and not hear this theme.

5. Star Wars Main Title
            Iconic main theme 101.  The brass and strings just go all out.  The fact that I have this ranked #5, when it’s arguably the most famous theme of all time, says a lot for the strength of Williams’ music.

4. Main Title March from Superman
            Elfman’s Batman theme may be more influential, but this is still the first and the best superhero score.  Any time you hear a score-geek bemoaning the lack of a stand-out theme in a superhero movie, it’s all thanks to this genre-shaping music.

3. End Credits from E.T.
            I mentioned before about my love for piano, and this takes the cake.  Nobody does crescendos like Williams, and this is perhaps my favorite example.  It evokes childhood like few other scores.

2. The Imperial March (Darth Vader’s Theme) from Empire Strikes Back
            Anyone who knows how much I love Star Wars might be surprised that this is only #2 on my list.  A theme so awesome every villain since has prayed for something approaching its grandeur.  And one of the few themes played in baseball stadiums across the country that everyone instantly recognizes.

1. Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark
            The only theme that could possibly top Star Wars.  I love Star Wars, but Indy is probably my favorite movie character ever.  Strings are great, but I think I’ll always be a brass guy at heart, which is the biggest difference between #1 and #2.  Sometimes I still wish I had chosen to be an archeologist just so I could step out to that brass.

What say you?

1 comment:

  1. Really love his themes for "Nixon" and "Born On The Fourth Of July" as well!

    His NBC News theme "The Mission" is epic also!

    "Amastad" is crazy underrated!

    ReplyDelete